Learning RSS and CSS

These are the next two things I want to get really good at. I think RSS is one of the best ways to get one way backlinks to your site. There are so many directories that can pick up your feed and google and yahoo love that. I thought it my be useful for the travel website as we can post our monthly newsletters as RSS. We do it every month anyway might as well use it for SEO. We are #1 in Yahoo.ca and MSN for "Ottawa Travel Agent" but only 81 in Google so we'll see if this helps.

Today I decided to learn how to set up an RSS feed for a web site (not a blog).

It was actually pretty easy thanks to Danny Sullivan's article: How to make an rss feed.

I'm sure one of Andrew's friends could have taught me but it is nice to learn some things on my own.

We are also trying to clean up our code with css instead of tables. I think the search engines prefer CSS (but I have heard the opposite too). I think css makes the code cleaner (more content vs tags> and can allow for more content to be placed at the beginning of our text.

posted by aforward @ 11:40 AM,

2 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger royassaly said...

Glad to hear your turning to the dark side..err nerd side. Whatever.

For CSS, I recommend EditCSS. It's an extension for FireFox. It lets you see your work in real time as you type in.

Plus you can run it on site that you think look nice, and steal/borrow parts of their layout.

I believe I showed Van and Andrew that tool. Been using it for over a year now.

And yes, having an RSS feed along side a newsletter is great. I can have a folder called "Travel" and subscribe to your feed to see if anything is up.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger aforward said...

thanks roy...will keep you posted on how things go...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

About me

Previous Posts

Blogs

Links

Archives

What Am I Reading


Powered By

Powered by Blogger
make money online blogger templates

eXTReMe Tracker