Visit to Kink In My Hair Set

(just for reference this post is done in a really giddy schoolgirl kind of voice)

Well now that my brother is an Executive Producer (fancy schmancy), I got my first visit to a real TV set.

While the show appeals to everyone, "Kink in my Hair" will be the first afro-centric cable sitcom "ever" in Canada...so he's pretty much making history.

Well all I can say is that TV sets are cool. I think I was most surprised by how many working parts are involved in prodcing a TV show. I figured the director and the actors would be the key people but they really are secondary. Everyone has a role and there are people everywhere; make up, costume, writing, casting, lighting, sound, set design etc. My favourites were the two assitant directors, they just run around yelling at everyone (in a good way like..."lets move it people.")

The best was when I just arrived at the set and I was sitting in these director's chairs and just watching on a small screen. I didn't know anyone who was around me and all of the sudden the guy two seats down yells "Action!". He was the director and I was sitting right beside him and I didn't know it! My second favourite part was when they would yell cut (everything is really quiet and then all of a sudden all these people (see above) start coming out of nowhere mulling about.)

I felt bad for the boom guy. I mean he literally spends 12 hours lifting and holding up this huge mic, and he inevitably ruins scenes because the broom drops into the frame (no love for a very thankless job).

Learning about actors unions was also very cool. And I can't complain about the yummy, yummy catering which happened to be my third all you can eat buffet in 5 days...but who's counting...and that's a whole 'nother post.

I loved it... very cool, very fun.

posted by aforward @ 4:28 PM,

1 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Bren said...

So are you part of you brother's entourage now? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

About me

Previous Posts

Blogs

Links

Archives

What Am I Reading


Powered By

Powered by Blogger
make money online blogger templates

eXTReMe Tracker