Trying A New Golf Swing

I decided that I don't want to take anymore golf lessons for the full swing so I bought a little book instead about hitting down and through the hitting zone. The book is called "Hit Down Dammit" by Clive Scarff.

It only focuses on one part of the swing which is the part I think I'm having the most trouble with (angle of approach). The best part is that it's a minor tweak not a whole overhaul of my swing.

I think at impact my hands aren't in the proper position and that the angle at which the club head approaches the ball is also incorrect. The author is Canadian and pretty funny so it was an easy read. Anyway it is a little different from what most instructors have taught me. I guess with golf people will tell you the opposite of what someone else teaches you. You just have to decide for yourself what is best for you.

I think the number one thing he gives you a great visualization of how the swing plane should look and techniques to use to stay on plane. It is not what I was doing or was ever really taught properly.

The book mainly focuses on swing plane and where to generate power along that plane. It has changed the angle at which I aim at the golf ball...something I already know I don't do correctly.

He gives four drills that are easy to do at home. The good news is that one of the drills is one we did constantly at golf school but now I have a new way to approach it. The other good news is that I understand what each drill is trying to accomplish.

So far things seem pretty good on the practice mat at home but we'll have to see how everything translates on the driving range and then on the course.

My goal is to have a nice compact swing that is easy to repeat. I don't care to much about distance right now. I just want to be able to consistently get the ball into the air, rather than rolling it down the fairway.

I am missing my little book of notes from golf school which would be helpful as well.

Now I just have to convince Andrew to play a little more golf.

posted by aforward @ 2:35 PM,

1 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the new swing work for you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

About me

Previous Posts

Blogs

Links

Archives

What Am I Reading


Powered By

Powered by Blogger
make money online blogger templates

eXTReMe Tracker